Now that the 2011-2012 football season has finally ended (congrats to the New York Giants!) - I wanted to reflect on the phenomenon that occurred during the season: TEBOWING!
It seemed like everyone was 'Tebowing'! There is even a website dedicated to Tebowing, aptly named Tebowing.com. So what exactly is Tebowing? Well, it's a action verb: "to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different."
Isn't this what God tells ALL of us to do? Romans 12:2 begins, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world." As Christians, we are commanded to be different. But the world tells us to follow the crowd. Everybody's doing it so it must be ok, right?
I have struggled with this my whole life. Wanting to fit it and feeling the pressure if I didn't 'go with the flow'. Not that I put up much of an external fight. The conflict I felt was inside. I knew that some of my choices weren't the right ones but it was often easier to 'blend in'. I would then feel guilty and torn up about those decisions. In hindsight, I was insecure and seeking the approval of others.
What I admire most about Tim Tebow is that he consistently seeks God's approval - not the world's. His focus is on pleasing God. So, how do we please God?
"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thess. 5:18)
It seems Tim Tebow is constantly thanking God - if all the images of him 'Tebowing' are any indication! I imagine his prayers are peppered with words of praise and thanksgiving. Whether he's just thrown the winning 80-yard pass in overtime or his team is suffering a 45-10 loss, I bet Tebow is counting his blessings and thanking God.
It took me a few years, a wonderful counselor and lots of prayer before I finally found my 'voice' - so to speak. I started to gain the confidence I needed to make unpopular choices. I began to value what God wanted me to do, rather than what the world expected.
It's a conscious choice and can be a struggle (depending on the day!) - but I want to be different. I don't want to 'conform' anymore. I want to give thanks in all my circumstances.
You may not find me 'Tebowing' anytime soon, but you can bet I'll be praying!
_In honor of my first 45 years on this planet, I though it would be appropriate to share some of the things I have learned. So, here goes - in no particular order!
• Laughter really is the best medicine
• AFV is the greatest TV show in the world! (I can literally watch it for hours)
• Monday morning is not the right time to ask 'so what do you want to do when you graduate?'
• The world disappears when you look into the eyes of your brand new baby
• Be prepared when you pray for patience - God will give you opportunity to practice it!
• God hears our prayers
• Be thankful for EVERYTHING
• God really does loves me
• Grown up daughters become best friends
• Age is just a number
• I am fearfully and wonderfully made
• Hearing a baby laugh = instant good mood
• God's timing is always perfect
• Learning from my mistakes = growing up
• People may disappoint us but God won't
• Time spent with good friends is time well spent
• People don't care if your shirt came from Goodwill or the Gap
• When I give back to God he blesses me - ALWAYS
• Count your blessings instead of what you don't have
• People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
• It's not wrong, it's just different
• Family is ALWAYS more important than work
• Real men love Jesus
• Nobody will notice when you wear the same jeans 3 days in a row.
• Fish sticks and french fries are ok for dinner… 3 days in a row (it was a rough week!)
• Never leave home without earrings
• Ice cream is ok for dinner
• The digital camera is the greatest invention EVER
• Sometimes people just need you to listen
• Good manners count - please and thank you IS important
• A mother's love is unconditional
• My brothers aren't so bad now that we're grown up
• Sending a card 'just because' can make someone's day
• Keep an umbrella in the car at all times 'just in case' (I don't 'do' wet hair!)
• People are watching you - be an example
• An overdrawn checking account does not equal the end of the world (even up to 6 returned checks!)
• It's ok to say no
• It's ok to negotiate with a salesperson - the worst they can do is say no!
• When cutting your son's hair with clippers, don't start straight down the middle!
• People need kindness - say hello, smile, ask someone how they're doing
• Hugs are free
• Babies are more resilient than they look - goes hand-in-hand with...
• Eating needles from a real Christmas tree will not hurt the baby (they pass right on thru!)
• I am right where I'm supposed to be
• Don't multi-task when making dinner (don't ask! hehe)
• Our children need to make their own mistakes
• A movie marathon on a beautiful Saturday is ok!
• Love is a choice
• When God shuts a door, he opens a window
• Counseling works
• God's word is real
• Broken hearts heal
• It's ok to ask for help
• All we have is today
I'm looking forward to what I'll learn in the next 45 years!